Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Dreaming In Turtle by Peter Laufer, PH.D.

A fascinating exploration into the world of turtles across the globe; Laufer charts the lore, love, and peril to a beloved species.

Dreaming in Turtle is a compelling story of a stalwart animal prized from prehistory through to today—an animal threatened by human greed, pragmatism, and rationalization. It stars turtles and shady and heroic human characters both, in settings ranging from luxury redoubts to degraded habitats, during a time when the confluence of easy global trade, limited supply, and inexhaustible demand has accelerated the stress on species. The growth of the middle class in high-population regions like China, where the turtle is particularly valued, feeds this perfect storm into which the turtle finds itself lashed. This is a tale not just of endangered turtles but also one of overall human failings, frailties, and vulnerabilities—all punctuated by optimistic hope for change fueled by dedicated turtle champions.







I felt the author did a great job with Dreaming in Turtle. I already know about many horrible things done to our wildlife in this world, being a wildlife activist myself, but this book gives even more behind the scenes with those horrible people. 

We also get to meet "Fred" a turtle that was rescued and turned over Matt Frankel at the Turtle Conservancy. The author was sent "Fred" (this is what the author named him) via Ship Your Reptiles. Matt gave Peter some instructions on Fred's upkeep. Fred lived with the author for a bit of time, but since he was going to be away from quite some time he eventually had to send Fred back to Matt. I'm going to wager that Fred lives a long and happy life. 

I did skim over some of the more unsavory parts because it just wasn't the day to read about things I already know and hate. Turtles/Tortoises can live for hundreds of years if humans and other animals wouldn't bother them. We have a few hundred year olds around to this day. I still can't image an animal living to be that old, it's like what all have they seen in their lifetime?

No one can ever tell me turtles don't know things. The author talks about it in this book as well. There is also a part about everyone having a turtle story. I have a few myself. 

To me, turtles are like Elephants with their memories. I think they are so beautiful, they are like old souls. I think the author mentioned that as well. Anyway, when I was a little kid we were on our way to my grandmothers. There was a big turtle dead on her dirt road leading up from a spring. Dad, with the good eyes back then, saw a little tiny body next to the bigger turtle. And thus I had my new baby turtle. (I have pictures I will add someday if I can find them. We have MANY pictures) This little baby fit in the palm of my hand. We keep in awhile (can't remember how long as I was little) and then they made me let him go at the spring down from my grandmother's farm where we found them =( I wanted to keep him forever, which I could have, given he didn't get sick. 

I trained said baby (still can't remember what I named him) to run across the floor and climb into my hand to eat his freeze dried worms. Yes, it was nasty but so much fun to have him eat out of my hand. The little baby grew and was happy and healthy. I would sit out on the back porch and let him walk across the picnic table. This is where we spent time in the sun and he would turn his little head at me for him to rub the top of his head and under his neck. He loved this! He would close his eyes and like a dog, if you stopped, would give you the stink eye. Lol! He also liked this legs rubbed too. I would say this little guy was spoiled. The more I talk about him the more I miss him! 

Also while growing up and to this day we would have turtles meander into the yard and I would go out and give them tomatoes, grapes and strawberries. I will pictures and videos of those too when I find them. These turtles would hang around for awhile at the back door waiting for their daily meal and they would watch us cut up the food and put it on the ground. They would all wait patiently and then eat when we were finished. This would happen after the first couple of times leaving food out after seeing them for the first time. They knew who we were from then on out. Do you know what it feels like to have a turtle cut his head toward you and look and you with his beautiful eye while you talked and cut up his food? I can't begin to explain it. 

Well, that's enough of that or I could go on forever 

Mel 

Back to the book, the author tells of things you don't want to know and things that are very interesting. I mean not everything is doom and gloom in the book. But we all know there are evil people out there killing our wildlife and poaching on everything they can get their hands on. I hope someday there is a stop to it all. I'm guessing when the world is dead. 

Happy Reading! 

Mel

*Thank you to the Publisher for a print copy of this book.*  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment