Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Friday, October 6, 2017

We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley Jackson

Merricat Blackwood lives on the family estate with her sister Constance and her Uncle Julian. Not long ago there were seven Blackwoods—until a fatal dose of arsenic found its way into the sugar bowl one terrible night. Acquitted of the murders, Constance has returned home, where Merricat protects her from the curiosity and hostility of the villagers. Their days pass in happy isolation until cousin Charles appears. Only Merricat can see the danger, and she must act swiftly to keep Constance from his grasp. @goodreads 











You will be wondering about that sugar bowl, I imagine. Is it still in use? You are wondering; has it been cleaned? You may very well ask; was it thoroughly washed?




This book is looney tune. I'm not even sure about some things that happened.



One of my GR friends needs to message me so we can discuss some things on this book. (Of course no one will read this so it's a mute point)

So Constance, Merricat, and Uncle Julian live in the home together with all of their land enclosed. The rest of the family were killed.

Merricat is the only one that leaves to get groceries and books in town where she is picked on by everyone. I loved her macabre thoughts of all the said people being dead. She had a lot of different macabre thoughts through-out the book.

The book was just so strange and I enjoyed that, even though it made me feel crazier than I am!

They had some jerk uncle that showed up trying to find their fortune. I was hoping he was going to meet a macabre end himself. But alas, he did not.

And I'm a bit confused at the ending. Hopefully someone can help me out. Either way, I enjoyed the book


Mel ❤️ 

GOODREADS REVIEW:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2142698333

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I’ve read a lot of Shirley Jackson’s short stories, but I haven’t tried one of her novels yet. I’ve heard they’re very strange.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much =) This is the first of her books I have read including short stories. It was so strange but good =)

      Delete