Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Shadow Frost by Coco Ma

IN THE KINGDOM OF AXARIA, a darkness rises.

Some call it a monster, laying waste to the villagers and their homes.
Some say it is an invulnerable demon summoned from the deepest abysses of the Immortal Realm.
Many soldiers from the royal guard are sent out to hunt it down.
Not one has ever returned.


When Asterin Faelenhart, Princess of Axaria and heir to the throne, discovers that she may hold the key to defeating the mysterious demon terrorizing her kingdom, she vows not to rest until the beast is slain. With the help of her friends and the powers she wields—though has yet to fully understand—Asterin sets out to complete a single task. The task that countless, trained soldiers have failed.

To kill it.

But as they hunt for the demon, they unearth a plot to assassinate the Princess herself instead. Asterin and her friends begin to wonder how much of their lives have been lies, especially when they realize that the center of the web of deceit might very well be themselves. With no one else to turn to, they are forced to decide just how much they are willing to sacrifice to protect the only world they have ever known.

That is… if the demon doesn’t get to them first.







THIS FREAKING BOOK!! ADDED TO FAVORITES LIST! PREORDERED WITH NO HESITATION!



What the hell am I going to say??? I loved this book so freaking much! There were some sad things toward the end and I don't know if they can ever be mended but one can hope. This book pulled at all of my FEELS!

I CAN NOT BELIEVE Coco Ma wrote this book at 15 years of age! She's freaking amaze balls! If I could write this good at 15 I would have been a star! Hell, If I could write this good now, I could be a star!

Shadow Frost is the YA Fantasy book I never knew I needed. THIS, is what YA Fantasy should be in all shapes and forms. Yes, I have a few favorite authors and books in this genre, but damn... Coco Ma just jumped right into my little capsule of favorite authors!

Okay, let me get to the book. Holy crap on a cracker, let me keep this short and not give anything away!

Princess Asterin is a bad @ss princess through and through. She is NOT the sit around and let men fight for me princess. Oh she has guards etc, but she conned all of them from a little girl to show her how to fight, pick locks, you name it. She also has magic, but that's a whole other ball game.

Asterin is not ordered around by any man/boy; she fights her own fights and has some freaking amazing friends. They all love each other and protect each other as much as they can. There is a little thing at the end but it's just one of those horrible decision things. No win situation. But this particular situation has me conflicted; I feel for both sides.

There is a monster demon thing going around killing people in Asterins' realm. This does not sit well will her so she tells her mom, The Queen, she is going out and killing the monster with her magic. And no, she doesn't take any lip there either. She has magic, she has friends with magic and she has a couple of new guards with magic. And we are off.

Turns out not everyone on this journey is what they seem and this is not really a bad thing. I love each and every person and all of the women are bad @ssed in their own way.

THE PEEPS I LOVE:

Asterin
Luna
Rose
Orion
Quinlan
Eadric
Harry
Their horses which seem to have a mind of their own at times
Amoux (sword, just because it's Asterin's sword and it's a sword)

and a certain someone that is also a thing but I can't tell you about this certain someone thing =)




There is a tiny bit of grimdark in this book. There is some swearing. Mainly Asterin calling a certain boy @sshole all of the time. There were times I had some good laughs with the comedic side to the story.

I'm just going to shut up now because I'm rambling. Just read it and if you don't like it then fine. But if you like bad @ss chics who rule, you will love it. Yes, some of the women throw the men around but so what, they all have fun either way. There is also a little boy/boy love if you want that as well. Everything is well rounded in my opinion and I can't wait for a reread with the actual book in my hand.

I will leave you with a quote. Now this is an uncorrected proof so said quote could change. I would like to add a million quotes but I digress.

Enjoy!



Quinlan's fists clenched. "Asterin! Get back here!"
Orion felt her anger spike, as tangible as fire. The princess whirled around. "You do not have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do, Quinlan Holloway. This is my duty. I will not let anything or anyone stop me from defeating the demon that took the lives of hundreds of innocent people-my people. And if I fail to avenge them, I do not deserve the throne." Quinlan faltered. "I didn't...I just meant that-"
"And furthermore, let me remind you that you're here officially as a soldier serving my kingdom, and therefore under my command, prince or no. You will obey my word or return to the palace. The choice is yours. But do not, under any circumstance, rule me." With that, Asterin spun on her heel and strode away. The dense foliage of the forest swallowed her in darkness in less than a second.


*Thank you to Netgalley and the Pub for giving me the opportunity to read this awesome book!*

Mel ♥

GOODREADS REVIEW 

No comments:

Post a Comment