Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Friday, September 15, 2017

My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris

Set against the tumultuous political backdrop of late ’60s Chicago, My Favorite Thing Is Monsters is the fictional graphic diary of 10-year-old Karen Reyes, filled with B-movie horror and pulp monster magazines iconography. Karen Reyes tries to solve the murder of her enigmatic upstairs neighbor, Anka Silverberg, a holocaust survivor, while the interconnected stories of those around her unfold. When Karen’s investigation takes us back to Anka’s life in Nazi Germany, the reader discovers how the personal, the political, the past, and the present converge. Full-color illustrations throughout.@goodreads 

















OMG! This book is awesome! It's freaking huge too. I have a picture of it next to my pen but it still doesn't do it justice. And it's heavy! I love it =)



Karen Reyes is a little girl that is trying to figure out what happened to her neighbor. She was a holocaust survivor that was killed.

The book is written in a notebook style by Karen with drawings and stories. The artwork is totally awesome! Karen draws herself as a werewolf <-- she could really be!

The story goes through her neighbor Anka's life and Karen's own life. It seems like the kids in school were bullies to her. She did get one friend but I think she secretly had a crush on her. Until, her friends parents broke them up because of all the monster stuff.

Karen's brother Deeze bought her copies of Dread, Spectral and Ghastly. These were horror magazines and they show front covers of some of them through out the book.

I think this was a wonderful book and I really wish I could draw and write like this book was formatted because I would be filling notebooks full of this stuff! It made me so happy. I didn't understand the story all of the way but who cares, I had fun =)

I'm leaving you with some pictures in no uncertain order.






















Mel ♥ 


No comments:

Post a Comment