Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Monday, August 24, 2020

Harriet The Movie



Based on the thrilling and inspirational life of an iconic American freedom fighter, Harriet tells the extraordinary tale of Harriet Tubman's escape from slavery and transformation into one of America's greatest heroes. Haunted by memories of those she left behind, Harriet (Cynthia Erivo) ventures back into dangerous territory on a mission to lead others to freedom. With allies like abolitionist William Still (Leslie Odom, Jr.) and the entrepreneurial Marie Buchanon (Janelle Monáe), Harriet risks capture and death to guide hundreds to safety as one of the most prominent conductors of the Underground Railroad. Witness the story of a woman who defied impossible odds to change the course of her life and the fate of the nation.

I thought I might start doing mini reviews on movies of all kinds. I’m going to start with Harriet. I just got through watching this on my Prime HBO add-on subscription. I’m certainly glad I did as I knew nothing about this inspirational woman!! Now I’m just going to add a few quotes and pictures from the movie as I want to read one of the books about her and do a more in depth review. 

The actress, Cynthia Erivo, did an exceptional job of playing the role. I loved all of the characters. They all did fantastic jobs!! 

Harriet is a hero in her own right and a freaking woman that did this makes it even better. Nothing bad to any men that do great things. It’s just great to hear of these women. 

Just a few more pictures and info from the movie 

Harriet Tubman was the most famous conductor on the Underground Railroad, leading over 70 slaves to freedom. 

During the Civil War, Harriet became a spy for the Union Army. 

She led 150 black soldiers in the Combahee River Raid, freeing over 750 slaves. 

Harriet remains one of the few women in US history to lead an armed expedition. 

She later remarried and dedicated her life to helping freed slaves, the elderly, and Women’s Suffrage. 

She died surrounded by loved ones on March 10, 1913, at approximately 91 years of age. 

Her last words were, "I go to prepare a place for you."




No comments:

Post a Comment