Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Monday, April 27, 2015

All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die.
Soon to be a major motion picture starring Elle Fanning!
 
Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

This is an intense, gripping novel perfect for fans of Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, and Jenny Downham from a talented new voice in YA, Jennifer Niven. @goodreads


MY REVIEW:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1260040560

Read from April 20 to 27, 2015

This is one of the best books I have ever read. I'm going to say a lot of personal things on here then go on with the review which will include spoilers, but I will put up the spoiler alert before I do. I also want to add some quotes from the book and the author's note at the end.

This book is about teen suicide and bullying. But, it's also about some wonderful people, happy moments and a bit of crazy-wonderful.

When I was young I was bullied in school most of my life. I ended up quitting school and getting a high school diploma through the mail, which is legit but doesn't seem so since I never finished school. I never told my family about this and to this day at 43 they still do not know. My entire family think I was just some kind of a loser that didn't want to go to school. Never judge a book by it's cover right?

When I got sick, physically in 2008 it put me in the hospital overnight and I came out with all kinds of mental disorders. I'm guessing they were brewing on the surface as I have always had some anxiety. I came out with severe panic disorder, agoraphobia (fear of going outside for me), ocd, depression and then came the physical stuff being fibromyalgia and arthritis from all the hard playing I used to do outside before all of this and hereditary with the arthritis, I'm assuming. All of these things turned so bad that I wanted to kill myself many times. I still feel suicidal to this day, and yes I see an psych, no I don't take a million pills, only one for panic. The one thing that held me back was my dog Dakota, I never wanted to leave him, he was my son. Then he had to be euthanized suddenly in Feb. of 2013 from cancer. He just collapsed and then here I am having to kill him. And I thought this is it, I can finally leave and go with him. One out of the couple of friends I have, sent me flowers because she knew he was my son and how much it about killed me much less me killing myself. Surprising to me was that my dad was very understanding and always checking on me since I cried every day. My family knew I always said I wanted to leave this world when he goes, so I guess he was a little worried. And my stupid self let my family and doctor talk me into getting another dog. Now here I am with my rescued greyhound and I don't want to leave her, but I tell you I feel the pull of suicide a lot. I even tell her about it. Her name is Lucy.

The reason I'm telling all of these personal things is I want some people to know a few things from someone that really thinks about these things. It doesn't make any of us freaks and we can't "just get over it." That's what people say in this world with mental illness. If it's not physical it's not real, well I would like them to walk a day in any person's shoes with any kind of mental illness. If we could "just get over it" we would have freakin' done that by now.

I'm going to add a quote from the book that sums up how I feel personally and I know alot of people feel the same way.

*QUOTE FROM BOOK*

Amanda stares at her hands. "I can only tell you how I felt. Ugly. Disgusting. Stupid. Small. Worthless. Forgotten. It just feels like there's no choice. Like it's the most logical thing to do because what else is there? You think, "No one will even miss me. They won't know I'm gone. The world will go on, and it won't matter that I'm not here. Maybe it's better if I was never here."

**Quote finished**

This gave me chills because I have said that in my head and out loud so many times. I even asked my parent why they even had me. And you see so many people seem like they are ok, they can hide these things. Look at Robin Williams, it doesn't matter if your rich or poor, if something is going on with you and there is nothing to be done or no one sees it... that's it. Being lonely sucks!

Okay, let's move on to the review! **SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT**

I fell in love with Finch from the very beginning. I liked Violet too, but it's Finch that steals the story. He is fun, crazy, seems like he is so full of life, but he's not..

Finch and Violet meet at the top of the bell tower at school. This was not a planned meeting, this was a random meeting of two people that where thinking of committing suicide. Can you imagine, someone messes up your suicide attempt. These stupid, insignificant prats are yelling for Finch to jump. They should have the crap beat out of them. People like that make me sick. Anyway, Finch ends up talking Violet down from the tower but lets everyone think it's the other way around and she is labeled as a hero.

They end up being friends, but not without a lot of pushing on Finch's part. Violet doesn't really want to be around anyone too much. Her sister Eleanor was in a car wreck with her almost a year ago and Eleanor died and she didn't. Violet feels like this is her fault because she told her to take the ice-slicked bridge. So Violet has her own issues. She won't get in a car, things like that. Sweet, wonderful Finch brings out all of the good in Violet. Brings her back to herself. They do a cool report for school together where they wander around and look at wonders in their town. It's so wonderful and I would love to do that!

They do fall in love, and I was so hoping this would help Finch. But throughout the book he is still fighting these death feelings. He has a mom and two sisters, but they don't see anything wrong, they just say that is Finch. He has a dad who left them for another woman and her son and he is a big jerk of a dad always saying Finch is a loser etc.

I think Theodore Finch is a wonderful character. Just like so many out there that take there lives or lose their lives. I can see how wonderful he is, but he just can't.

Obviously, Finch takes his life, but I'm not going to say how he does it. I'm not going to say any more about this wonderful book but to tell everyone to read it! Read it! Understand it! Love it! These things are real! People like this are real! And there should be no room left in the world for bullies or people that don't understand mental illness. Get off your high horse and let others live the way they want and try to have some compassion!

I can't find the other quote I highlighted but I think I got my point across!

**I'm going to put the Author's Note in here because I think it is another important thing for people to read. I'm not going to add her personal parts of the note because that may not be right to do unless she asks me too. I'm just going to add the basic parts and some hotlines.**

**AUTHOR'S NOTE FROM THE BOOK**

Every forty seconds, someone in this world dies by suicide. Every forty seconds, someone is left behind to cope with the loss.

In All The Bright Places, Finch worries a lot about labels. There is, unfortunately, a good deal of stigma surrounding suicide and mental illness.

Often, mental and emotional illnesses go undiagnosed because the person suffering symptoms is too ashamed to speak up, or because their loved ones either fail to or choose not to recognize the signs. According to Mental Health America, an estimated 2.5 million Americans are known to have bipolar disorder, but the actual number is a good two to three times higher than that. As many as 80 percent of people with this illness go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.

If you think something is wrong, speak up.
You are not alone.
It is not your fault.
Help is out there.

**End of partial AUTHOR'S NOTE**

Some hotlines:

SUICIDE PREVENTION 1-800-273-TALK - suicidepreventionlifeline.org
DIAGNOSING MENTAL ILLNESS IN TEENS - helpguide.org

I recommend this book to everyone!  5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment