Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Croak by Gina Damico

Fed up with her wild behavior, sixteen-year-old Lex's parents ship her off to upstate New York to live with her Uncle Mort for the summer, hoping that a few months of dirty farm work will whip her back into shape.

But Uncle Mort's true occupation is much dirtier than shoveling manure. He's a Grim Reaper. And he's going to teach Lex the family business.

She quickly assimilates into the peculiar world of Croak, a town populated by reapers who deliver souls from this life to the next. But Lex can't stop her desire for justice — or is it vengeance? — whenever she encounters a murder victim, craving to stop the attackers before they can strike again.

Will she ditch Croak and go rogue with her reaper skills? @goodreads 


MY REVIEW:

3 STARS 

 I thought this book was pretty good. It's extremely funny and becoming a reaper or grim as they call themselves in this book is a cool idea for a book.
 :

Lex has become a delinquent. She's attacking kids at school, teachers, whoever gets in the way. Her parents have had enough so they decide to send her to live with her uncle Mort for the summer. She doesn't want to leave her sister but it has to be done. So they put her on a bus and her life is going to be changed forever.

"Hey there, cutie," he said. "What's your name?"
Lex rolled her eyes and turned toward the window. "Kill me."
"Kimmy? I'm Steve," he went on, undeterred. "So, are you in school? I go to NYU. Where do you go?"

Lex gave him the same look a cheetah makes just before devouring a gazelle. "Listen. I really appreciate your efforts to make my trip infinitely more torturous than it already is, but do you think that you could maybe just shut the hell up for the rest of the ride, lest I rip off those hideous sunglasses and start beating you over the had with them?"

Steve looked as though he had just swallowed a socket wrench.
"Sor-ry," he said. "Just trying to be friendly."
"Cram it, Steve."

Lex's mood was fouler than usual. Not only she was getting shipped off to Uncle Dementia's Land of Psychosis, but she had also received the mother of all gloomy farewells when her family deposited her at the bus station. Mom had cried. Dad's chin quivered. And Cordy wrapped her in a sullen embrace, digging her nails into Lex's back as she whispered, "Get it all out of your system. Bring back the old Lex, or so help me God, I'll tell everyone you went to musical theater camp."


It was hilarious from the get go when Lex met up with Uncle Mort and rode off with him on his motorcycle. He was pretty funny himself. Lex got to meet a lot of the people in the TOWN. She ended up working with some and getting used to things becoming a Grim and all. She even got to meet Edgar Allen Poe!

It was pretty sad doing the killing and taking the souls to send them on their way. Lex was mad that she couldn't kill bad people. I would be too for that matter. I would want to take out the bad people.

The book had a really, really sad ending. I didn't see that one coming at all, NOT AT ALL. I hope to read the next books to see what happens. While I don't love the book, I did enjoy it.



GOODREADS REVIEW:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1976601645

3 comments:

  1. I definitely want to try this some time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Plot is definitely interesting, not sure if I want to read it though as rebellious teenagers aren't my thing. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete