Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles)

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old—when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power—plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish—to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil. @goodreads 


MY REVIEW:

5 STARS 


I loved this book! I wasn't sure at first because lately when reading my urban fantasy books, they are taking me longer to get into and that's sad because I used to read them all of the time. At any rate, this one took off for me after a little bit and I freaking fell in love.

I mean this book has so much stuff in it! All kinds of gods, references to gods, God, the devil. We have Vampire and Werewolf attorneys, goblins, ogres... gah! there is just so much.

Anyhoo, so Atticus is a 2100 year old Druid, the last Druid I might add, unless of course the author brings another one into the story later. Atticus poses as 21 and owns a store that has crystals and herbs and what not.

AND,

he has a talking relationship with his Irish Wolfhound, Oberon. OMG! He's my new book boyfriend, er, druid.


 :

This book is both funny, narly and plenty of awesomeness.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, this evil god dude <-- was he a god? Now I can't remember, either way he was a jerk evil demon dude and he blames Atticus for stealing his sword. The sword is named Fragarach the Answerer and it's bad to the bone, it will kill you deader than dead in a second. There is a whole history there but you can read it yourself!

Atticus is living in Arizona and has been off the radar from said jerko for years, but apparently gods or demons, minions, whatever can surf the net and find people. Yeah, I know right? And Atticus was stupid enough to put his real info-ish out there. Now he is being hunted.

A few things the old jerko send after Atticus to try to get the sword and kill Atticus before he gets there end up having a bad day or night. And it's amazeballs! OMG!

Oh and there is the Morrigan who is the death goddess. She's on Atticus side so to speak and stuff.


 :

And Atticus has a werewolf (Hal) and a vampire (Leif) as his attorney's. I mean this is just too cool for me to handle people!

There are just so many cool things that you just have to read the book. The earth energy that Atticus uses, just all kinds of stuff. Oh and the old widow lady down the street, Mrs. MacDonagh who drinks like crazy, loves Atticus and is okay with him killing stuff and having werewolf friends. Lol! She's a hoot!

I'm going to leave this review with some excerpts. Some are of Oberon the dog who has an obsession with Geghis Khan and French Poodles!

**EXCERPTS**



The bars along the wall of my shop had melted silently apart behind them and morphed into jaws of sharp iron teeth. The giant black maw reached out for them and snapped closed, scissoring through the fairies' flesh as if it were cottage cheese, and then they were inhaled like Jell-O, with time only for a startled, aborted scream. Their weapons clattered to the ground, all glamour gone, and then the iron mouth melted back into its wonted shape as a series of bars, after gracing me with a brief, satisfied grin.

I got a message from the iron elemental before it faded away, in the short bursts of emotions and imagery that they use for language: //Druid calls/ Fairies await / Delicious / Gratitude//


••••••••••

There was no time to negotiate. He nodded once and said, "They don't look very tough."

"They're giants using glamour, so don't trust your eyes. Use your other senses. What does their blood smell like?"

They were almost upon us, but it was a worthwhile question. Leif's eyes widened when he caught the scent of their blood. "They are strong," he said. "Thanks, Atticus." He grinned, his fangs lengthening as he smiled. " I have not had my breakfast yet."

"Look at it like an all-you-can-eat buffet." I said, and then there was no more time for talking. Not one to be shy, Leif launched himself in a superhuman leap against the leading Fir Bolg, far above where his head was according to mortal eyes. That's because the giant's neck was actually about three feet higher, and the Fir Bolgs slowed down when they saw their leader taken down by a guy in an English business suit. But slowing down wasn't the same as stopping.

••••••••••

"Agreed," the vampire said. "I am full right now anyway. I need to work some of this off." He dug a cell phone out of his-or, I should say, my-breast pocket and used a speed-dial number to call someone named Antoine. "I have dinner for the whole crew at Mitchell Park in Tempe right now. Bring the truck . . . Yes, there is enough for everybody, trust me. See you there."

Whoa. He had ghouls on speed dial. My lawyer kicks so much ass.

••••••••••

I rose from my chair and Oberon began to trot in front of me down the hall to the bathroom, his tail wagging again. *Will you tell me about Genghis Khan's whores while I'm in the bath?*

Hordes, not whores. He had both, though now that you mention it.

*Sounds like he was a busy guy.*

You have no idea.

••••••••••

*Did you get me that movie about Genghis Khan?*
It's in the Netflix queue, but that's not the surprise. You don't need to worry, it'll be something good. I just don't want you to feel depressed about going home.
*Oh, I won't. But it would be cool to have a stream like this in the backyard. Can you make one?*
Umm. . . no.
*I figured. Can't blame a hound for trying*
Oberon was indeed surprised when we got back home to Tempe. Hal had made the arrangments for me, and Oberon perked up as soon as we were dropped off by the shuttle from the car rental company.
*Hey, smells like someone's in my territory,* he said.
Nobody could be here without my permission, you know that.
*Flidais did it.*
That isn't Fidais you smell, believe me.
I opened the front door, and Oberon immediately ran to the kitchen window that gazed upon the backyard. He barked joyously when he saw what was waiting for him there.
*French poodles! All black and curly with poofy little tails!*
And every one of them in heat.
*Oh, WOW! Thanks, Atticus! I can't wait to sniff their asses!* He bounded over to the door and pawed at it because the doggie door was closed to prevent poodles from entering.
You earned it buddy. Hold on, get down off the door so I can open it for you, and be careful, don't hurt any of them.
I opened the door, expecting him to bolt through it and dive into his own personal canine harem, but instead he took one step and stopped, looking up at me with a mournful expression, his ears drooping and a tiny whine escaping his snout.
*Only five?*


Fin =)

GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1961066870

No comments:

Post a Comment