Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Monday, August 31, 2015

An Apprentice to Elves by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear

Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear return with the third book in their Iskryne trilogy, An Apprentice to Elves. The trilogy began with A Companion to Wolves, and continued in The Tempering of Men. This novel picks up the story of Alfgyfa, a young woman who has been raised in the Wolfhall by her father, Isolfr.

The warrior culture of Iskryne forbids many things to women—and most especially it forbids them bonding to one of the giant telepathic trelwolves. But as her father was no ordinary boy, Alfgyfa is no ordinary girl. Her father has long planned to send his daughter to Tin, a matriarch among the elves who live nearby, to be both apprentice and ambassador, and now she is of age to go. @goodreads


MY REVIEW:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1362975898             4 STARS

 I thought this book was pretty good. I loved the wolf concept as wolves are my favorite animals. I did not read the first two books prior to this one, I would like to find out the whole story so I can understand it a little bit more. But, this is fine for a stand-alone book, it doesn't continually refer to the past books to make you confused.

So the men bond to wolves but women are forbidden to do this, and to that, they can kiss my arse :)

Alfgyfa is an apprentice to the smith Tin. Tin is finding out that Afgyfa has a telepathic link to a wolf/dog, which is a big no no. Good for you Alfgyfa. I think she is a strong character and I love how she just does what she wants no matter what the rules.

I think this book is very unique in ways that at times left me confused, but like I said before, I might understand it better if I start from book one. The whole idea of being telepathically linked to a wolf is awesome, but it's so much more than that, there is a great deal more involved in this link. The men almost seem wolf like in their behavior, you just have to read it for your self as I'm not the best at explaining these types of things :)

I do have to mention I think the cover is absolutely beautiful. I not sure if this is a trilogy or if it's going to be an ongoing series, but I would like to get them in some kind of boxset if they are, the other titles sounded really good as well.

*I would like to thank NETGALLEY and MACMILLAN/TOR-FORGE for giving me the opportunity to read an ARC of this book for my honest review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment