Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook, and Liar.

Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She’s pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She’s not prepared for normal.

Funny, provoking, and ultimately moving, this debut novel featuring the quintessential unreliable narrator will have readers turning the pages and trying to figure out what is real and what is made up. @goodreads


MY REVIEW:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1283200072

First off I want to say I love the cover of this book. I think it's so beautiful.

It seems lately I'm reading a lot of young adult books about mental illnesses. I feel horrible for anyone that has to go through any type of mental illness as I do myself. I feel really bad for the ones dealing with schizophrenia. This disease is so utterly devastating to the person and family.

One of the main characters in the book named Alexandra Ridgemont, Alex for short, has schizophrenia. I love her, she is a spitfire all on her own. She doesn't take a lot of crap off anyone. That is very endearing about her and she's funny too. She has a friend named Tucker that she works at a little restaurant with and they go to school together. She has this love/hate relationship with a boy named Miles that goes to the same school.

For now, no one knows that she has schizophrenia. She changed schools when she had an attack and it hasn't gotten around at her new school yet...

They say schizophrenia doesn't usually show up until your in your teens but Alex had hers when she was a young child, I think she was seven, and she actually had it with Miles. She thought he was just made up until she met him again years later. So they have this weird connection.

The book goes back and forth with these kids and some other characters in the book. They get in trouble, they go to class, they get in trouble, they have some decent times, and did I mention they get in trouble! They are funny and some of these characters in the book are really awesome to get to know and they love Alex and Miles, even though they know they are both not quite right. Miles has family issues and I told you about Alex.

It still amazes me how cruel kids can be when they find out things about people. I just think these types of kids need the crap beat out of them and put in reform school or something. That is just my opinion. I don't care if they have issues of their own, it's the job of the people at the school to watch for things and take care of it the right way.

So, in this book you will find evil kids and the kids that have things really wrong with them. You will find sexual abuse from cruel evil school officials as well. They don't go into any kind of detail about that but you figure out what they mean.

I still like how the author makes Alex out to be a strong girl even though she has to go through some tough things.

I loved this book a lot and I think Alex is really cool :) I would be her friend. 


5 Stars
 

No comments:

Post a Comment