Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Leonard ~ My Fifty-Year Friendship With A Remarkable Man by William Shatner w/ David Fisher

Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner first crossed paths as actors on the set of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Little did they know that their next roles, in a new science-fiction television series, would shape their lives in ways no one could have anticipated. In seventy-nine television episodes and six feature films, they grew to know each other more than most friends could ever imagine.

Over the course of half a century, Shatner and Nimoy saw each other through personal and professional highs and lows. In this powerfully emotional book, Shatner tells the story of a man who was his friend for five decades, recounting anecdotes and untold stories of their lives on and off set, as well as gathering stories from others who knew Nimoy well, to present a full picture of a rich life.

As much a biography of Nimoy as a story of their friendship, Leonard is a uniquely heartfelt book written by one legendary actor in celebration of another.
@goodreads 


MY REVIEW:

4 STARS 

If you love Leonard Nimoy, and who wouldn't? You should read his book I Am Spock because this is a wonderful book written by Leonard himself. That being said, lets get to the review of this book.

 :

The book starts out with the death scene in Wrath of Khan.

 :

--->EXCERPT<---

When Kirk realizes what has happened, he runs down to the engine room. Spock is barely alive. The two men, who have fought together throughout the universe, are separated by a clear plate of glass wall. In his last moments, Spock tells Kirk, "Don't grieve, Admiral. . . it is logical. The needs of the man. . . outweigh . . ."
"--the needs of the few," Kirk finishes.
"Or the one," Spock adds, then places the palm of his hand, open with Vulcan salute, on the glass. On the other side, Kirk lays his hand on the wall, their hands seemingly touching. A final good-bye. With his dying breath, Spock tells Kirk, "I have been . . . and always shall be . . . your friend. Live long . . . and proster."


I have to say when I first saw this movie I thought I was going to die. I have loved Spock for a million years. And to this day, I still cry at that scene.

The book goes on to tell of Shatner and Leonard's time on the set of Star Trek, the good times and the bad times. The arguments, the secrets they told each other about their lives, family, addictions.

 :

 :

 :

There is a sweet letter that Shatner wrote to Leonard that was in the book as well. He doesn't know if he ever read it, he likes to hope so. No one ever knows.

Besides the arguments and some depressing stuff there were some funny times they had and some tricks they pulled on each other. I liked this one in particular.


-->EXCERPT<--

I had been on the track team in school. I was pretty fast, especially for an actor. Leonard was less athletic than I was, and although he had long legs, he did not move nearly as fast. Perhaps those ears caught the wind and held him back. But the result was that I got my lunch every day, and sometimes Leonard did not. But Leonard was a very resourceful man; he figured things out. One day, lunch was called, and I dashed outside and started running--and seconds later Leonard came speeding past me on a bicycle, leaving me far behind. When I got to the commissary, he was already being served--and my memory is that he looked at me triumphantly. He later described it as "the logical thing to do." But it was a victory that would not be allowed to stand.


 :

 :

Overall I liked the book and it brought a few more tears as I loved Leonard Nimoy so very much.

GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1627729736

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Fifty-Year-Friendship-Remarkable-Man/dp/1250083311?ie=UTF8&keywords=leonard%20by%20william%20shatner&qid=1462276596&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment