Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Thursday, November 17, 2016

The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner

Dill has had to wrestle with vipers his whole life at home, as the only son of a Pentecostal minister who urges him to handle poisonous rattlesnakes, and at school, where he faces down bullies who target him for his father's extreme faith and very public fall from grace.

The only antidote to all this venom is his friendship with fellow outcasts Travis and Lydia. But as they are starting their senior year, Dill feels the coils of his future tightening around him. Dill's only escapes are his music and his secret feelings for Lydia neither of which he is brave enough to share. Graduation feels more like an ending to Dill than a beginning. But even before then, he must cope with another ending one that will rock his life to the core. @goodreads


MY REVIEW:

5 STARS 


THIS. FREAKING. BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved it sooooooooooooooo much. It broke my freaking heart and gave me joy and broke my heart some more. It's just so wonderful! And the feels in this book are beyond what I can say in my pitiful little review. All I know is if you have been meaning to read this book and have been putting if off, READ IT - you just might find it as wonderful as I did.

The main characters are, Dill, Travis and Lydia and I love them so much! They are some of the most awesome characters I have read in awhile. Dill is the son of the crazy, snake, preacher man. Travis is a fantasy book fanatic whom you can not help but love. He goes around in with his dragon necklace and his staff and is constantly reading his favorite author's books. And Lydia is the one that has the money with a father as a dentist and I think her mom was in real estate. Either way, her parents are wonderful people, the boys parents, not so much.

Dill's preacher father ends up in jail for reasons. And Dill's mom doesn't even want Dill to finish his last year of high school or go to college, because of reasons.


 :

Travis has a really sweet mom but a jerk for a father. He's a drunk and he's always calling Travis names etc.

Lydia runs a very popular blog (<---I wish I did) talking about any and everything. She's going to go to college and make something of herself. The boys, not so much, but they finally came up with their own plan. And poor Dill has a crush on Lydia but don't want to tell her. It all eventually comes out when other things happen. And Lydia made me laugh hysterically many times while reading this book! (thank you, Lydia, I needed that)

Dill is also a brilliant singer/songwriter/guitarist.

As much as I loved these characters and this book, there were some parts that just ripped my heart out and threw it on the floor.

I really have nothing else to say about it without giving out spoilers. I had all of this stuff I wanted to say while reading it and I should have written them all down. I would have like to put my many feels in the book, but then again, I would have had to add spoilers and I don't like to do that unless they are mild. There is nothing much mild to this book.

I hope many more people love this book as much as I did and I cried a few times and laughed a few times. The perfect book, okay . . . not so much the crying because I'm tired of crying in books!


 :

Fin ♥

GOODREADS REVIEW:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1810757478

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Serpent-King-Jeff-Zentner/dp/055352402X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479422646&sr=8-1&keywords=the+serpent+king

No comments:

Post a Comment