Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Friday, November 11, 2016

The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon

Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?@goodread


MY REVIEW:

5 STARS 

 


Yeah, I cried!

I was so happy to get this book because I loved Nicola Yoon's book, Everything, Everything! I loved this one too.

Natasha is being deported to Jamaica because of some stupidity on her fathers part. She came to America when she was eight and she's now going into her senior year and doesn't want to leave her friends and life.

Daniel is an American/Korean boy who just wants to live his own life but his parents have other ideas. Daniel and his brother Charlie are to be doctors and that is that.

Natasha and Daniel meet in the city by what you might want to call fate. Lets just say that Daniel saved her life. Then they go through the day together. Some won't like the insta-love in the book but this is what I love about books, they are a fantasy world I can escape to where magical things can happen. If I want to read boring, "real life" books I will pick up a math book or something boring.

Anyway, Daniel is supposed to be going to an interview to see about getting into Yale. Natasha is supposed to be meeting with a lady that is trying to stop her deportation. They spend the day together in between different interviews they have to go to. I didn't like that it took FOREVER for Natasha to tell Daniel that she was being deported but I digress.

Does anyone remember that movie from years ago called, Before Sunrise? They also made another one years later. This book reminded me of that movie in a way.






There are a few side characters in the book that actually mesh with Natasha and Daniel's story. Some parts had me thinking, OMG, did that just happen? I loved those side stories as much as the main story because they were all connected.

 :

I also love how the book is told not as an ending with Natasha and Daniel but with a continuation of all the things that happened with them and their families. And then 10 years later . . . 


*I received a print copy of this book through the BloggingForBooks program.* 


GOODREADS REVIEW: 

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1809504682

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Also-Star-Nicola-Yoon/dp/0553496689/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1478917037&sr=1-1&keywords=the+sun+is+also+a+star

6 comments:

  1. I've recently bought this book so I'm very much looking forward to reading it!
    Stacey
    www.fromonetothenextblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awhile back I read Everything,Everything and thought wow what a great story, but it didn't stick with me. I've been thinking about reading this one and your review has won me over! I love that it follows the characters 10 years later!

    Happy Reading,
    Miranda @ Miranda's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Everything, Everything and this one is awesome all its own. I hope you enjoy it as well, I think what really got me was the 10 years later bit. It wasn't much but it was enough ♥

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good. And I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete