Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Friday, February 26, 2016

Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes

In the compulsively readable follow-up to her widely acclaimed debut novel, You, Caroline Kepnes weaves a tale that Booklist calls “the love child of Holden Caulfield and Patrick Bateman.”

Hidden Bodies marks the return of a voice that Stephen King described as original and hypnotic, and through the divisive and charmingly sociopathic character of Joe Goldberg, Kepnes satirizes and dissects our culture, blending suspense with scathing wit.

Joe Goldberg is no stranger to hiding bodies. In the past ten years, this thirty-something has buried four of them, collateral damage in his quest for love. Now he’s heading west to Los Angeles, the city of second chances, determined to put his past behind him.

In Hollywood, Joe blends in effortlessly with the other young upstarts. He eats guac, works in a bookstore, and flirts with a journalist neighbor. But while others seem fixated on their own reflections, Joe can’t stop looking over his shoulder. The problem with hidden bodies is that they don’t always stay that way. They re-emerge, like dark thoughts, multiplying and threatening to destroy what Joe wants most: truelove. And when he finds it in a darkened room in Soho House, he’s more desperate than ever to keep his secrets buried. He doesn’t want to hurt his new girlfriend—he wants to be with her forever. But if she ever finds out what he’s done, he may not have a choice... @goodreads


MY REVIEW:

3 STARS 




I hate to say I didn't love this one like I did the first book. The first book blew me away. But, I still love Joe <---Yes, I know your not supposed to love killers but he was just so good at in the first book. He's not so bad at it in this book either, but everyone messes up right?

We are introduced to a whole new set of characters when Joe follows Amy to LA, he doesn't want to go there, but you know Joe. He has a few trysts in LA and one serious relationship. It's kind of weird because Joe starts to want to write screenplays and stuff, I won't go into all of that, you can read it yourself.

Joe does keep stressing over the cup of urine he left in that closet. If you read the first book you will know what I mean. Lol. It's one of those moments where you don't mess up and leave said urnine behind and it's all you think about, besides the next person that is a butt crack that you want to kill!


 :

Even though I so wanted to read more about Joe and his craziness, I wish it would have stopped at the first book. I would have liked to have read about a new nutter in a different book and left Joe safe and..sound..er.. crazy in New York :-)

I saw that ending coming, most of it and I didn't like it one bit. Even though Joe is a killer perv, I wanted to see him keep going on in his weird way and maybe fix himself up. Well, he did sort of turn himself around when he had a um.. reason.. yeah a reason, can't give out that spoiler!




I'm going to leave it with a couple of excerpts.

 :

"JoeBro, don't take this the wrong way, but you need to chill. Have you ever done a juice fast?" He hits a pack of American Spirits against the desk. "You get so intense. That gets your cortisol going. Cortisol is not cool."
This is like getting pulled over for not using your blinker and I could kill Calvin. I could kill Amy. I could kill everyone and put them in a blender and make them into a smoothie.


•••••••••

YOU don't go to a party empty-handed and my reusable Pantry bag is stuffed with rope, my Rachel Ray knife, rubber gloves, plastic bags, duct tape, and Percocets from Dez.

••••••••••

Fin

GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1308890540

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Bodies-Novel-Caroline-Kepnes/dp/1476785627/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1456502559&sr=1-1

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't love this one as much as the first. I really want to read the first one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too hon. I just knew it was going to be as good. The first one had me all on the edge of my seat! This one is still good but you will see the differences once you read them both ♥

      Delete