Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Myself, Me and I by Jo Allott

Hi, I'm Jo.

The sole purpose of this book is to share with you a journey; this journey is the story of three people, Myself, Me, and I.

You're probably thinking what? Isn't that just one person? I guess technically it is, however the journey I have been on to become the person I am today has been a far from easy one! Throughout the pages I will refer to Myself, Me and I often, so I guess I best try to explain them to help you understand.

Myself - is a person I called Annie. She was my eating disorder and came in to my life on September the 8th 1990 when I was 12. She stayed in my life for 18 years, 7 months and 6 days until I was 30.

Me - is Joanne - the person I was for nearly thirty one years. Joanne was a girl battling with so many issues that no one had a clue about. To the outside world she came across as confident and bubbly, with no care in the world. WRONG! This was a persona I used to protect myself from being anymore vulnerable and hurt than I already was; or so my screwed up logic would have me think.

I – is Jo, the person I am today. Jo is a 34 year old confident woman who REALLY is happy with her life!

So how did I get from Myself to I?

A HUG! From someone I hardly knew . . .

Four years ago a man walked in to my life and gave me a hug, just when I needed it most. This hug, this simple hug, changed the direction of my life completely, and sent me off on a new, much happier and more productive path.

On Thursday the 28th of June 2012, that man walked in to my life again and I felt compelled to tell him just how profound his hug had been. So I shared some of my journey with him.

This is my story. @goodreads 



MY REVIEW:
4 STARS 

As you can read in the blurb this is about Jo's journey. She has a lot of things that she has to go through from childhood to adult, but she overcomes them and that is great!

Here is a part of the prologue of her book that I thought was good:


So, what issues have I overcome on my journey from becoming Myself to I? Let me see, there has been:
1. An Eating Disorder
2. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
3. Unhelpful Perfectionism
4. Bullying
5. Depression and Insomnia
6. Alcohol Abuse
7. Low Self Esteem
8. Not Knowing Who I Was As A Person
9. Accepting A Parent That Doesn't Love Me


So, love me or hate me, both are in my favour! If you love me in your life, I will always be in your heart! If you hate me, I will always be on your mind... Fucked up huh?

 :

I could relate to some of the things the author has went through and you know, it doesn't really matter if you relate or not... what matters is that you try to have some compassion and be kind. These kinds of books are not written for your entertainment, or for you to love to death or hate to death. They are written from someone's soul and they just want to tell a part of their story. I thought for a first book the author did a good job in trying to get these things across.

I found the book sad in so many ways that Jo went through all of these things. The worst being when her father, who was everything to her, left her, her mom and sister. This started all of the horrible problems. And even if you have to leave, at least be in your kids life and ACT like you love them. But, Jo's dad didn't do that, he just pushed her farther and farther away. I won't even say what her sister called their father. She didn't care about him at all, but she wasn't close to him and was younger when he left.

Jo goes through a lot of things as I have said, but one of the things she had a very hard time with was her eating disorder. :(


 :

When will we ever learn that we can be loved at any size? I guess never with all of the things that are put out there, the way people act.

But in the end she got it together and opened a catering business called, Culinary Magic. I think that's a good thing.

Of course there is a lot more to this book, but I'm leaving that up to you to read.


GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/642026192

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EBU6A18?colid=DTJ9A29MCHWB&coliid=I19LVMY0DE49P3&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl


2 comments:

  1. Omg this sounds incredibly insightful. I will have to add it to my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel if you have kindle unlimited it's on there right now and I think the regular kindle book was 99 cents :)

      Delete