Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Sunday, November 8, 2015

These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly

Set in gilded age New York, These Shallow Graves follows the story of Josephine Montfort, an American aristocrat. Jo lives a life of old-money ease. Not much is expected of her other than to look good and marry well. But when her father dies due to an accidental gunshot, the gilding on Jo’s world starts to tarnish. With the help of a handsome and brash reporter, and a young medical student who moonlights in the city morgue, Jo uncovers the truth behind her father’s death and learns that if you’re going to bury the past, you’d better bury it deep. @goodreads

MY REVIEW:
4 STARS


This was a nice little mystery. I thought Jo was sweet trying to find out what happened to her father. She knew he didn't shoot himself by accident cleaning one of his guns, it's just not something he would have done. Now they are saying suicide or murder..
 :

Jo starts going sleuthing on her own because her family would have a fit if they knew what she was doing. She runs into a man from the newspaper named Eddie. He decides to help her and they also have a little whirlwind romance.

 :

Jo is only seventeen years old and her family is rich. Sometimes she got on my nerves in the book, I'm not sure if it was because she was brought up rich and didn't know too much or what. Most of the time though I just loved her and all the things she did to help women.

Jo's father owned a newspaper and was part owner in a shipping company. They find out the bad stuff is coming from the shipping company. This all has to do with treasure, but it's not the kind we are thinking about, it's a very bad kind. Jo is appalled when she finds out and I don't blame her!

In the end Jo figures out the mystery with the help of a few friends and she helps some girls out of some bad situations. I think Jo is a really good character that does good things for the sake of others. This is set in the 1890's so you can imagine all she goes through to help girls in different situations. Hell, it still does on to this day!

Anyway, I enjoyed this mystery and I have to say I love the book cover, they did really good job on it!


GOODREADS REVIEW:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1318785032

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

http://www.amazon.com/These-Shallow-Graves-Jennifer-Donnelly/dp/0385737653/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447024805&sr=8-1&keywords=these+shallow+graves

2 comments:

  1. I have this one on my TBR and I cannot wait. It sounds and looks perfectly creepy, and combined with a mystery makes it all the more intriguing. And I agree, that cover is super wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is awesome! The book is good, but not as creepy as I was thinking. We have a lot of the same on our TBR pile. It's a never ending pile. I haven't really gotten on here much in the last few days, not been all that well. I will have to go and look at all your posts when I'm on here again. :)

      Delete