Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Eligible by Curtis Littenfeld

This version of the Bennet family—and Mr. Darcy—is one that you have and haven’t met before: Liz is a magazine writer in her late thirties who, like her yoga instructor older sister, Jane, lives in New York City. When their father has a health scare, they return to their childhood home in Cincinnati to help—and discover that the sprawling Tudor they grew up in is crumbling and the family is in disarray.

Youngest sisters Kitty and Lydia are too busy with their CrossFit workouts and Paleo diets to get jobs. Mary, the middle sister, is earning her third online master’s degree and barely leaves her room, except for those mysterious Tuesday-night outings she won’t discuss. And Mrs. Bennet has one thing on her mind: how to marry off her daughters, especially as Jane’s fortieth birthday fast approaches.

Enter Chip Bingley, a handsome new-in-town doctor who recently appeared on the juggernaut reality TV dating show Eligible. At a Fourth of July barbecue, Chip takes an immediate interest in Jane, but Chip’s friend neurosurgeon Fitzwilliam Darcy reveals himself to Liz to be much less charming. . . .

And yet, first impressions can be deceiving @goodreads


MY REVIEW:


4 STARS 



I was worried going into this because I wasn't sure how they were going to write this re-telling without messing it up too bad. And I have seen some negative reviews but there have been the good ones too.

*****MILD SPOILERS*****

It was so bizarre reading about all of the group in a modern telling but I did very much enjoy it. I did almost faint when I read some of the girls dropping the F-bomb and having sex with certain people. It seemed so wrong on so many levels but was such a good book. It was funny, everyone seemed to be a little whackado at times, well pretty much the same people in the real book, but I digress!

Chip Bingley was on a show called Eligible! OMG! Seriously, people are saying it's like a version of Bachelor and all of that but I only ever watched the Brett Michaels reality love show, but it's the same thing. Poor ole Bingley didn't find love on his show and now he's in Ohio as an ER doctor. Darcy is there as well and he's a neurosurgeon. I think they were in Ohio at the time, yeah because Jane and Liz came home from New York to look after their father (Mr. Bennet) after he had a heart attack and broke his arm.

Mrs. Bennet was played perfectly, she got on my nerves in the real book and she got on my nerves in this book! She also is a shopaholic in this book and what seems to be a sort of hoarder.

Liz works at a magazine called Mascara and Jane is a yoga instructor. Mary, Kitty and Lydia don't do anything but live at home and sponge off their parents. Well Kitty and Lydia are into some kind of fitness thing that I have never heard of and Kitty drives a Mini Cooper! OMG! It's just too funny.

Mrs. Bennet wants to introduce Jane to Bingley so she gets that set up. She wants to get her girls married off before they are too old to have a child. And poor Mr. Bennet is at his wits end with her and the girls.

Liz has been having an affair with Jasper Wick for like 14 years! He can't get divorced from his wife or they won't get the money from her mom when she dies. It's crazy train, people!

Jane and Bingley hit it off and then they get into some dire straits because of something Jane didn't tell him and broke it off for a little bit.

Liz loathes Darcy because she over hears him say some nasty things about her. But . . . they still get it on which totally blew me out of the water. =)

There are a lot of things going on in the book but I think I have given out enough mild spoilers so you can read the rest in the book for yourself. It was a fun little ride!

And as always, Liz and Darcy fall in love!


"My darling-" Darcy lifted his palm from her arm to her cheek, and she leaned into it; she thought she might weep, and closed her eyes. "I would-I will-give you as many chances as you need. My feelings for you have never changed. And all the mushy things I was too cowardly to say before, they're just as true now. You're different from any woman I've ever met. Even when you're arguing with me, you're easy to be around. And those times you came over to my apartment-those were the most fun I've ever had."

GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1533549626

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Eligible-modern-retelling-Pride-Prejudice/dp/1400068320/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470945855&sr=1-1&keywords=eligible+in+books

No comments:

Post a Comment