Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Monday, August 29, 2016

Public Enemies by Ann Aguirre

Learn the rules of the game…and then play better than anyone else.

Through a Faustian bargain, Edie Kramer has been pulled into the dangerous world of the Immortal Game, where belief makes your nightmares real. Hungry for sport, fears-made-flesh are always raising the stakes. To them, human lives are less than nothing, just pieces on a board.

Because of her boyfriend Kian’s sacrifice, she’s operating under the mysterious Harbinger’s aegis, but his patronage could prove as fatal as the opposition. Raw from deepest loss, she’s terrified over the deal Kian made for her. Though her very public enemies keep sending foot soldiers—mercenary monsters committed to her destruction—she’s not the one playing under a doom clock. Kian has six months…unless Edie can save him. And this is a game she can’t bear to lose. @goodreads


MY REVIEW:

4 STARS 




I loved this one way more than the first book. I'm still a little confused with some things from both books but that's alright. ***Mild Spoilers***

I will admit, until about 100-ish pages in I was getting a little annoyed thinking it wasn't going to pick up more from the first book. But I kept pushing and it sure as hell did pick up! I mean you have the Harbinger, a killer clown, a sun god's heart, an awesome blade made of out of said sun god's heart, a ghost helper, evil people and god's left and right!

Kian doesn't have long to live in this book since he gave up all of that to save Edie. And Edie is being protected by the evil Harbinger. Although, I really got to like him in this book and I really hope it goes well in the last book!


 :

Okay there is so much going on let me try to give this a decent enough review without spoiling every little thing.

Edie wants revenge against Wedderburn for killing her mom and some other things. And he is on and off wanting her dead or with him. Who knows. Then there is Dwyer & Fell who want her on their side as well or they will kill her. Seems like Edie is having a hard go of it. And all of these people are not what they seem. They sound like some kind of lawyer's offices, but NO, they are something very, very different! <--- I wish I could say!

Kian and Edie are still in love and Edie is secretly trying to find a way to keep Kian alive. To break the contract or whatever on his life. Then you have Raoul (I loved him) who is the person that brought Kian over, just like Kian brought Edie over. <--- I'm not going into all of that, read the first book and then this one :-D

Raoul starts training Edie in self-defense because she has monsters, demons and gods wanting to kill her.

Then we have "BUZZKILL" the killer clown. I loved him which is messed up because I don't do creepy clowns. And it was only for a short time that he was sent from Wedderburn to help protect Edie! After that was over he said he would kill her if they met again. Anyhoo, let me insert some excerpts of ole Buzzkill because he's funny and just to the point!




Fine. We'll have the lesson as planned. I'll use a different exit.
Raoul's risk of capture was freaking me out, my chest hurt when we got off at the stop closest to the abandoned school. The area was bad enough to unnerve a killer clown apparently because he quickened his pace, cutting the distance between us. I tried to hurry.
No luck.
Buzzkill caught up with me. "What the hell are you doing out here?"
"Training," I said.
"At what, murder school?"
"That's very judge-y coming from you, killer clown."
In response, he showed me his true face.


•••••

"I think you already know the answer to that. Look, we can't go to a neighborhood coffee shop. I'll give everyone in there a psychotic break." He seemed to read my expression because he added, "Yeah, normally, that'd be funny as hell but I'm under orders to be inconspicuous."

•••••

"He's out of the game, remember? Whereas you, chickadee, are still Boss's favorite little play-pretty. How's that stupid saying go, don't bite off your nose, and all that. Unless you're actually biting off someone's nose. In which case go ahead. But remember, there's a surprising amount of gristle."
"You are everything that's wrong in the world."
"If you knew how much self-control I'm exerting to keep from fileting you, kid, you'd pin a medal on me."




Edie is also trying to keep her dad in the here and now since her mom was killed. And then he gets taken by the other evil side. And she has to fight said evil side and something cool comes out of that with the help of Buzzkill.

Then they all go see a forge god who makes Edie an amazing blade which she uses to take out some other gods and peeps and things.

It's just cray and I enjoyed it very much. I will say some things made me sad but the very, very ending has changed things dramatically and I can't even imaging how it's all going to come into play in the last book!


GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1274649936

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Public-Enemies-Immortal-Game-Aguirre/dp/1250024668/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1472506014&sr=1-2


No comments:

Post a Comment