Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist

To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry.

Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to being again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos.
@goodreads





MY REVIEW:

4 STARS 

 :

I really enjoyed this book! I love the main character, Pug. I loved his friendship with his best friend Tomas.

Pug got picked to be the magician Kulgan's apprentice while Tomas was to be trained as a soldier. But they found plenty of time to spend together and get into this, that and the other. One day there was a wrecked ship and it turns out they were people from another time. A rift in the world and Pug and the people called them aliens. I mean they were in a sense, right?

But I'm getting ahead of myself. One day Pug is asked to take the princess, Carline, out for a ride in the forest. With all of the guards you think they would have found someone to take her, but I digress. While they were settling down for a picnic they get attacked by trolls. Pug (whose magic wasn't working at all) worked some special magic and took care of them. Since then he was accepted into the Duke's court. So, now he's not the orphan boy of the place. He's a part of the court and a magician's apprentice. He also has a crush on the princess. A lot of peeps do. Also, Pug's magic just comes on like that, never when he wants, at least not yet! That would suck, in a sense.

And

he was getting somewhere without even knowing it until the day they all set out to talk to some other princes and dukes etc about these aliens. They also had a visit from the Elf Queen and they all sided together to find out what's going on.

The duke let Tomas come along because of Pug. They were have a fine time of it until they are attacked and people and animals start keeling over left and right.

They end up meeting up with some of the dwarves. OMG, I loved the Chieftan Dolgan. He's a really nice dwarf, but still fierce. Oh, you know what I mean!

Anyway, they have to go through these tunnels underground to get to the other side. <-- I couldn't help it. Anyway, they are attacked by something <-- not saying, and they get separated from Tomas. Dolgan tells everyone to go on when they got out and he would go back in and find him. I know it's weird to say but this was the best part of the book to me because Dolgan finds Tomas with a dragon. And it was really good and I cried! YES, I CRIED! DON'T JUDGE ME. Anyhoo, the dragon gave them some gifts and things happened. Now that part was pretty short but it was just awesome to me.

Tomas ends up having to stay with Dolgan. I'm not sure what will happen or how they are going to get back together with the group. That will be in the other books of course.

There are a lot of other things that happened. More get separated, some attacks happen, but we don't really find out a whole lot. I think the author is setting us up for some pretty cool things. Or not, they could all just die in the next book and we move on.

The book made me think of my childhood. Certain high fantasy books do that and I don't know why. Maybe it's just the older ones. At any rate I enjoyed this one a lot even though I don't know what all is going to happen. I think it was set up nicely for the next book. The only thing is I wish Kulgan used his magic more. I was thinking he was going to be zapping things left and right. He might not be all that great of a wizard in that sense, he seemed like it from time to time, but what do I know.

Oh yeah, I want to know more about the really strong magician. We will be seeing more of him I'm sure and he had a tie to the dragon but I'm not telling you what it was just that it was nice and part of what made me cry.


GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1859283235

No comments:

Post a Comment