Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Elantris was the capital of Arelon: gigantic, beautiful, literally radiant, filled with benevolent beings who used their powerful magical abilities for the benefit of all. Yet each of these demigods was once an ordinary person until touched by the mysterious transforming power of the Shaod. Ten years ago, without warning, the magic failed. Elantrians became wizened, leper-like, powerless creatures, and Elantris itself dark, filthy, and crumbling.

Arelon's new capital, Kae, crouches in the shadow of Elantris. Princess Sarene of Teod arrives for a marriage of state with Crown Prince Raoden, hoping -- based on their correspondence -- to also find love. She finds instead that Raoden has died and she is considered his widow. Both Teod and Arelon are under threat as the last remaining holdouts against the imperial ambitions of the ruthless religious fanatics of Fjordell. So Sarene decides to use her new status to counter the machinations of Hrathen, a Fjordell high priest who has come to Kae to convert Arelon and claim it for his emperor and his god.

But neither Sarene nor Hrathen suspect the truth about Prince Raoden. Stricken by the same curse that ruined Elantris, Raoden was secretly exiled by his father to the dark city. His struggle to help the wretches trapped there begins a series of events that will bring hope to Arelon, and perhaps reveal the secret of Elantris itself.

A rare epic fantasy that doesn't recycle the classics and that is a complete and satisfying story in one volume, Elantris is fleet and fun, full of surprises and characters to care about. It's also the wonderful debut of a welcome new star in the constellation of fantasy.
@goodreads 


MY REVIEW:

5 STARS 

 Holy shite balls! I loved this book!

Okay, I took a picture of the back of the book because I liked how they had the part about Raoden, Hrathen, and Sarene printed on there but I did cut off a little bit of Sarene. So it's supposed to say she's a princess from Teod, not Teo. Lol Anyway, I wanted to add it because I thought it looked cool!

 :

I loved the hell out of this book! AND NO, I'm not comparing it to his other books. All of his books that I read are reviewed as their own book. I loved THIS book for THIS book not (it's not as good as this or that) so don't ask. Thank you! =)

And then I look and see there are going to be more books to this series in a million years. <--Okay, not a million but still. I have to wait and read them like all the other ones I'm waiting on. Oh, and I am getting this one in the UK Edition like all the ones I love and am trying to get. So far I have the regular box set of Mistborn and the UK edition of Mistborn. I will get them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will shut-up now and talk about the book.

I loved Raoden and Galladon. I loved Sarene and her Seon, Ashe. I just loved a lot of people in this book but those are the main ones. I even loved Hrathen and that was before he became good =)

Elantris was a beautiful place with these people/gods that were silver with white hair and all the goodness and wonderfulness. Then one day it hit the fan and Elantris fell. It turned peeps into living corpses so to speak. (I'm not telling you the whole freaking story because you need to read it and plus I don't to put up my spoilers tag)

The people of Arelon left Elantris alone but exiled people in the kingdom to Elantris that would get this disease. I loved these parts. Not what happened to the people but the things that were going on in Elantris, the whole freaking story about it

Raoden is the prince of Arelon and his father who is the king is a big jerk! Anyway, Raoden is to be married to Sarene but when she gets there they tell her that the prince has died. Well, that sucked right?

Sarene stayed in Arelon to try to make things better and stir things up. Oh how I loved her. She was teaching ladies to fence and she she was just a smart, strong woman. And she his this little thing called a seon and this one is named Ashe. They talk to each other and are always together unless she sends Ashe off on an errand.

Hrathen is a high priest who comes to town trying to convert everyone. He's a huge scary looking dude apparently. Or a gyorn as he was called. He was having trouble every step of the way from Sarene and one of his own and even Raoden. But he seemed to always be on the fence about things.

There is so much in this book that I would like to talk about. There is just so much. I must say the parts I did enjoy the most were with Raoden. Where he was at, what he was doing what he became.

And the last paragraph of the book brought a tear to my eye. 


GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1894238532

No comments:

Post a Comment