Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Well by Catherine Chanter

'One summer was all it took before our dream started to curl at the edges and stain like picked primroses. One night is enough to swallow a lifetime of lives.'

When Ruth Ardingly and her family first drive up from London in their grime-encrusted car and view The Well, they are enchanted by a jewel of a place, a farm that appears to offer everything the family are searching for. An opportunity for Ruth. An escape for Mark. A home for their grandson Lucien.

But The Well's unique glory comes at a terrible price. The locals suspect foul play in its verdant fields and drooping fruit trees, and Ruth becomes increasingly isolated as she struggles to explain why her land flourishes whilst her neighbours' produce withers and dies. Fearful of envious locals and suspicious of those who seem to be offering help, Ruth is less and less sure who she can trust.

As The Well envelops them, Ruth's paradise becomes a prison, Mark's dream a recurring nightmare, and Lucien's playground a grave. @ goodreads


MY REVIEW: 

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1262735530


Read from May 01 to 02, 2015

I would like to thank NetGalley and Atria for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

I don't know what it was specifically but this book just wasn't for me. I didn't like too much about it. The only characters I really cared for was the poor little boy Lucien.

This book has gotten so many 5 star reviews so I'm sure it's good to a lot of people and a lot more people will love it, but I just could not get into it at all. I did like the beginning and thought it was going to be good, then it just fizzled out for me. I don't know if it was my mood at the time or if it just wasn't my kind of book. I thought it was going to be some kind of science fiction type book or even paranormal but it was just a little off to me.

I might read it again in the future and see if I can get into it better.
2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment