Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Friday, September 2, 2016

a Little Something Different by Sandy Hall

The distinctive new crowdsourced publishing imprint Swoon Reads proudly presents its first published novel—an irresistibly sweet romance between two college students told from 14 different viewpoints.

The creative writing teacher, the delivery guy, the local Starbucks baristas, his best friend, her roommate, and the squirrel in the park all have one thing in common—they believe that Gabe and Lea should get together. Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class. They get the same pop culture references, order the same Chinese food, and hang out in the same places. Unfortunately, Lea is reserved, Gabe has issues, and despite their initial mutual crush, it looks like they are never going to work things out.

But somehow even when nothing is going on, something is happening between them, and everyone can see it. Their creative writing teacher pushes them together. The baristas at Starbucks watch their relationship like a TV show. Their bus driver tells his wife about them. The waitress at the diner automatically seats them together. Even the squirrel who lives on the college green believes in their relationship.

Surely Gabe and Lea will figure out that they are meant to be together.... @goodreads


MY REVIEW:

4 STARS 




THIS BOOK IS SO CUTE!

 :

I have never read a story like this one. It is told in multiple POV's. They each have a part in the story and there are 14 of them. I thought this was really cool. We even have commentary from a bench and a squirrel which was cute and funny. I will add a couple of their excerpts in a few.

So the major players are,
Gabe & Lea

The folks and things rooting for them throughout the book are:


1. Maribel (Lea's roommate)
2. Bench
3. Sam (Gabe's brother)
4. Squirrel
5. Victor (creative writing classmate) - although he hates them because they won't get on w/ it.
6. Bob (a bus driver)
7. Casey (Gabe's friend)
8. Maxine (a waitress)
9. Danny (Lea's friend) - although, he has crush on Gabe too
10. Inga (creative writing professor)
11. Pam (Inga's wife)
12. Charlotte (a barista)
13. Hillary (creative writing classmate) - don't like her at all
14. Frank (Chinese-food delivery guy)

 
Lea & Gabe notice each other before they even find out they are in a creative writing class together. When they get into the class you would think at one point they would talk or finally acknowledge they like each other. But, NO. And all of these people in the book are wanting them to talk and get together but they are both too shy.

Well, Hillary wants Gabe to herself and she's not a nice person so she can suck it. And Victor hates them so much and he ends up running into them everywhere he goes. He finally has it out with them about getting together and it cracked me up.

I will say it does take them to the end of the book to start really talking and finally get together. But the thing that was fun, listening to all of the people go on about them and them talking to certain people in the book about each other. It was just really sweet and cute. Just a fluffy book!

Let me excerpt SQUIRREL AND BENCH because they are funny
.

 :

Squirrel!

The best part of this time of year is all the acorns. Acorns are delicious and amazing and the best thing that anyone could ever eat. If you're not eating acorns you are seriously missing out. I tell my friends about the amazingness of acorns and sometimes they just stare at me like I'm crazy. But I'm only crazy for acorns.
I see a boy and a girl. The girl gave me peanuts once and she always looks at the boy a lot. He looks at her too. But they always look at each other at the wrong second. But today they look at each other at the right second and they both smile so wide it looks like they're laughing.
I hope they are laughing.
I hope they like acorns. Maybe I'll throw some acorns at them. No, that's a bad idea. I don't want to lose my acorns. I don't want to share. Call me a bad squirrel, but I do not like to share my acorns.
Maybe that makes me a good squirrel. The consummate squirrel. The very definition of a squirrel.


 :

Bench (on the green)

I'm the oldest bench on this green and I get no respect.
I'd like to say there are worthwhile things about the job. And maybe sometimes there are. Sometimes you get a really perfect butt; however, all rear ends are not created equal.
The one currently seated upon me is the kind I appreciate; it's the kind of behind that I would invite back time and again, if I had the ability to speak. And the best part is that it seems to be attached to a person who wants nothing more than to sit. No chatting, no moving around, not graffiti or gum. I could get used to this.


more from bench,

Bench (on the green)

No one sits on me all damn winter except that idiot squirrel. And now it's snowing and I'll be covered in the stuff for weeks and then I'll be wet and I won't see a single butt for the whole duration.
All those ungrateful delinquents walk by hour after hour, day after day, week after week. Not one glance my way, not one single decent sitter in the whole bunch.
No one has time for benches in the winter.
If I could, I would grow spikes. That would show them, come spring when the birds are chirping and the sun is out. They would sit down and I would grow a spike right into their rotund rear ends. Then they'd stop taking me for granted.


I totally loved bench and I would sit on him in the Winter since that's my favorite time of year :-)

I fell in love with this cute little book. If your looking for something warm and fuzzy and a little funny then you will probably like this book too. ♥


GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1388545119

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Something-Different-Sandy-Hall/dp/1250061458/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472822628&sr=1-1&keywords=a+little+something+different+in+books

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you just need a really cute book to enjoy and once you have that, it takes the hours away for a little so you can enjoy reading. I like the sound of this one!

    ReplyDelete