Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Age Of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan

What does it mean if the gods can be killed? The first novel in an epic new fantasy series for readers of Brent Weeks, Brandon Sanderson, Peter V. Brett, and Scott Lynch.

Age of Myth, inaugurates an original six-book series, and one of fantasy's finest next-generation storytellers continues to break new ground.

Since time immemorial, humans have worshipped the gods they call Fhrey, truly a race apart: invincible in battle, masters of magic, and seemingly immortal. But when a god falls to a human blade, the balance of power between men and those they thought were gods changes forever. Now, only a few stand between humankind and annihilation: Raithe, reluctant to embrace his destiny as the God Killer, Suri, a young seer burdened by signs of impending doom, and Persephone, who must overcome personal tragedy to lead her people. The Age of Myth is over; the time of rebellion has begun.@goodreads


MY REVIEW:

 5 STARS 


 
 :

I freaking loved this book and I now have new favorite author! I can't wait to read more of his books!




In the days of darkness before the war, men were called Rhunes. We lived in Rhuneland or Rhulyn as it was once known. We had little to eat and much to fear. What we feared most were the gods across the Bern River, where we were not allowed. Most people believe out conflict with the Fhrey started at the Battleground of Grandford, but it actually began on a day in early spring when two men crossed the river.

-THE BOOK OF BRIN


Raithe and his father crossed the river to hunt for food. Their village was starving and Raithe's dad thought it would be okay. BUT, it was not. And Raithe's father was killed. And a god was killed somewhat by the hand of Raithe.

After this little incident, Raithe ends up with a sidekick named Malcolm. He was a slave to the god that was killed. Or.... was he? Anyway, Raithe and Malcolm are wonderful characters. I loved their banter, I loved every thing about them really. They went on a journey together. Raithe to find somewhere to find a home of his own and Malcolm, just because.

Meanwhile over in Dahl Rhen, Persephone finds out her husband, the chieftan, Reglan has been killed by the fearsome bear - Grin the Brown.


She is always there. I see The Great Bear every night in the star-filled sky. To most people, it's just a group of stars. But to those who lived during that terrible time, they will always represent Grin the Brown. Even though I never personally saw her, stories of that beast scared me to death.

-THE BOOK OF BRIN


 :

It turns out a few people were killed or harmed that day. Well, Grin seems to have killed many people in her time. Since Persephone's husband was killed, she had to step down after 20 years of running things. The idiot (Konniger) and idiot wife (Tressa) that took Persephone and Reglan's place were stupid and Konniger got what was coming to him anyway.

Persephone is such a wonderful character. I just loved her and I was so happy when Raithe and Malcolm came into her life. Well, they saved her from being killed but that's all I'm going to say. Oh and Raithe is known country wide as the God Killer.

There is also a little girl in the village that came to Persephone and her name is Suri. She told Persephone that she was a mystic and that the old mystic that took her in was dead. Suri also has a beautiful white wolf named Minna. I loved them so much. All of these people and wolf come together to try to help each other.


Suri had a wolf named Minna. They were the best of friends and roamed the forest together. She had tattoos, was always filthy, afraid of nothing, and could do magic. From the first time I met her, I wanted to be Suri . . . I still do.

-THE BOOK OF BRIN


 :

As you can imagine, after the killing of the god, there are other gods and what not sent out to kill all of the humans. But there are some Fhrey that end up at the village and want to side with the humans and help them. The leader of that little group is called Nyphron. I liked them too. They had a cool giant named, Gryndal and it was a totally lovely moment when he was asking one of the ladies how she was cooking a chicken and gave her some herbs to add to it. That was all it took for me, him being a bad @ssed giant that could cook. lol

Suri could see all kinds of things. She say many future events and talked to nature and the trees. It was so cool. She saved them many times. And she was saved herself. Oh and the revelations of certain things made me cry. YES DAMN IT! I CRIED IN THIS BOOK TOO!

There are other people in the book that I just didn't care about at all. But one of them changed my mind and her name was Arion. She had many powers and some things happened when she ended up at the village trying to take the other gods back. Then some other stuff happened later on and she turned out to be a great person along with the rest of them that I loved.

I won't say anything else because I will get off on a spoiler review and I don't want to do that. I want everyone to enjoy this wonderful book for themselves! Oh happy day =)

If I spelled anything wrong then I apologize because I scribbled so many notes I can hardly read my writing! 0_o

I'm soooooooooooooooo glad I saw my friends reading this book at one time and I decided to get it from the overdrive library. But now, the hardback is going to be added my beautiful bookcases in due time ♥


GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1233426907

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Age-Myth-Legends-First-Empire/dp/1101965339/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473260983&sr=1-1&keywords=age+of+myth

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds rather fantabulous! I agree that Suri sounds like an intriguing character - I'd probably want to be her too!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, I just loved it so much! I'm so excited to find this author! I can't wait for the rest of the series but I'm going to go back and read all of his other books :-)

      Suri is awesome and I love Minna, obviously. There are so many great characters in the book. I'm so excited to have found another awesome author!

      Delete