Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Emma by Jane Austen

Scandalous matchmaking, mistaken affections, and unruly love surround a brazen young woman in EMMA

Pretty, rich Emma Woodhouse loves to meddle and is sure she knows best when it comes to love. So why not play cupid and bring couples together? But Emma sometimes interferes too much in her friends' lives. And none of the men Emma knows meet her own high standards for a husband. Will her good intentions ruin other people's chance for love? Is there a man who can truly understand Emma and win her heart?@goodreads


MY REVIEW:

 
4 STARS 

Okay, when I first started the book and was reading how Emma was taking happiness away from Harriet Smith by telling her that Mr. Martin wasn't good enough for her - I didn't like Emma at all.

 :

Now I can understand how Emma only wanted to do good by Harriet and that was how it was back in those days. But, as Mr. Knightely pointed out, Harriet was not from some wealthy family and Emma was doing the wrong thing in trying to find her a great husband. Mr. Knightley went to the trouble to help Mr. Martin in how to go about asking for Harriet's hand in marriage and Emma shut that down. But lets just say it all worked out in the end.

Emma went on a journey of trying to get people together. She wanted to bring people together and have them all married off. It seemed that it always back fired. Bless her heart for trying. She really was just trying to do good even though some of her thoughts and actions were not that kind.

Emma's father, Mr. Woodhouse was a peculiar character. I can't say too much because it seemed that what they called "his nerves" back then, sounds just like some forms of my panic disorder and agoraphobia. So I'm not going to go on about him not wanting to leave the house or him hating for anyone leaving him, he had issues, so just leave him alone.


 :

It was such fun reading about the story line and all of the descriptions in the book. Some things reminded me of Pride & Prejudice in that way but of course I love that book better. But Emma was a little enchantment all on it's own.

Then Emma tries to set Harriet up with Mr. Elton and that backfired as well as he had a crush on Emma. Poor Emma once again made a mistake.


"Here have I," said she, "actually talked poor Harriet into being very much attached to this man. She might never have thought of him but for me; and certainly never would have thought of him with hope, if I had not assured her of his attachment, for she is as modest and humble as I used to think him. Oh! that I had been satisfied with persuading her not to accept young Martin. There I was quite right. That was well done of me; but there I should have stopped, and left the rest to time and chance. I was introducing her into good company, and giving her the opportunity of pleasing someone worth having; I ought not to have attempted more. But now, poor girl, her peace is cut up for some time. I have been but half a friend to her; and if she were not to feel this disappointment so very much, I am sure I have not an idea of anybody else who would be at all desirable for her--William Coxe--oh! no, I could not endure William Coxe--a pert young lawyer

I did not like Frank Churchill from the start. There was just something devious about him. Emma didn't like certain things he did but she was a friend to him anyway.

 :

But getting to read about the love slowly unfolding between Mr. Knightly and Emma was so sweet. You could tell there was something there and they were both hiding it.


 :

Until the bitter end when Mr. Knightly finally confesses his love and Emma to him. And they had their wedding. How sweet is that, Emma finally finding her own love instead of trying to find it for others.

 :

I thought the book was really good and enjoyed it a great deal. ♥

GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1746585838

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Emma-Classic-Lines-Jane-Austen/dp/1454901330/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473851705&sr=8-1&keywords=9781454901334

4 comments:

  1. I love all the graphics in your review. I read this book a lot of years ago. I don’t remember it very well because I have a terrible memory, but I do remember enjoying it. Great review.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :-) I'm trying to read all of Jane's books eventually. Of course Pride & Prejudice is my favorite though :-)

      Delete
  2. I really like Emma, it's one of my favourite books by Austen. But, she's meddling a bit much haha.

    ReplyDelete