Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Friday, September 30, 2016

The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers



A rollicking space adventure with a lot of heart
When Rosemary Harper joins the crew of the Wayfarer, she isn't expecting much. The patched-up ship has seen better days, but it offers her everything she could possibly want: a spot to call home, a chance to explore the far-off corners of the galaxy, and some distance from her past.
And nothing could be further from what she's known than the crew of the Wayfarer.
From Sissix, the exotic reptilian pilot, to Kizzy and Jenks, the chatty engineers who keep the ship running, to the noble captain Ashby, life aboard is chaotic and crazy—exactly what Rosemary wants. That is until the crew is offered the job of a lifetime tunneling wormholes through space to a distant planet. Sure, they'll earn enough money to live comfortably for years, but risking her life wasn't part of the job description.
The journey through the galaxy is full of excitement, adventure, and mishaps for the Wayfarer team. And along the way, Rosemary comes to realize that a crew is a family, and that family isn't necessarily the worst thing in the universe… as long as you actually like them. @goodreads


MY REVIEW:


5 STARS 

I freaking loved this book! And yes, I cried! It was good crying though!


I always get nervous reading a sci-fi book because I'm afraid I won't know what's going on - and yes I say that every time. BUT <--- this book is so awesome. A couple of things went over my head but who cares!

I had no clue what a sci-fi soap opera was but if they are all like this book then I want to read more. I'm going to be buying this one and I did pre-order the next book!

This isn't just some space odyssey, it's about people and aliens and being a family!




I want you to know that I fell in love with all of the characters on this ship! Even ole grumpy, Corbin, later on in the book. We get to learn about each character. Their pasts, if they are alien, what kind of aliens they are and most of the stories are told through the person/alien so you get a better understanding.

Everyone in the book had to make choices, to share their secrets, to make choices for others so they wouldn't die even if they didn't want that choice made, thoughts and feelings toward other crew members, AI love, people trying to hide their love for things that just finally had to come out. Doing things for each other even if you don't really like each other because you are crew mates and you are family. These aliens and people have been together for years and years.

Rosemary is the new comer to the Wayfarer ship and family. But she soon finds out what it means to have a real family, to find love, to fight for each others survival.

Ashby is the captain, Kizzy and Jenks are the engine crew, Sissix is a pilot, Dr. Chef is the doctor and the chef, Lovey is the ships system, Ohan is the Navigator and Corbin is in charge of algae. They all play crucial parts in the running of the ship. Rosemary is there to help with secretary like stuff, for lack of a better word.

But they all go above and beyond to help each other do whatever to help out. They make tunnels to other places to make it easier for other people/aliens in the galaxy. They make good money but this latest job, which is more money than they have ever gotten, leads them into enemy territory under a planned alliance with the Toremi Ka. This doesn't go very well, but they are an evil race so it's to be expected. They almost lost their lives. They did lose a few things and almost lost the ship.

But all of that isn't until almost the end of the book. This is mostly about them going through space, stopping at markets and having some fun, meeting new people on different planets to get things they need, pirates, gross arse cooked up bugs and stuff, old friends/new friends. And I just loved it! I loved learning about all of these people and the things they went through and the evil people and the bots and this that and the other. Oh, and dear Kizzy making little winter hats for her fixbots. I need a picture of that! I wish this would be made into a movie. Just seeing how they handle all of the creatures alone would be awesome.

Anyhoo, I loved it and I hope you do too but it may not be for you. I'm just glad it was for me ♥


GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1770977322

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Small-Angry-Planet-Wayfarers/dp/0062444131/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475265337&sr=8-1&keywords=the+long+way+to+a+small+angry+planet

2 comments:

  1. So good right? Just uplifting and happy, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I loved it so much! I'm so glad you did too :-) It made me so happy to read this, I can't even really put it into words ♥

      Delete