Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Monday, August 22, 2016

A Bad Beginning by Lemony Snickett

Dear Reader,

I'm sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe. From the very first page of this book when the children are at the beach and receive terrible news, continuing on through the entire story, disaster lurks at their heels. One might say they are magnets for misfortune.

In this short book alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, and cold porridge for breakfast.

It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket


  
MY REVIEW:

 
5 STARS 

If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book. In this book, not only is there no happy ending, there is no happy beginning and very few happy things in the middle. This is because not very many happy things happened in the lives of the three Baudelaire youngsters. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire were intelligent children, and they were charming, and resourceful, and had pleasant facial features, but they were extremely unlucky, and most everything that happened to them was rife with misfortune, misery, and despair. I'm sorry to tell you this but that is how the story goes.



I am ashamed to say that I have had this 13 book hardback boxset since 2013 and I am just now getting around to it. I put it on one of my challenges for this year but now I'm thinking I might should wait for the tv show on Netflix. I wonder when that is coming out.

***SOME SPOILERS***

These poor kids! They are just having a day of play when they find out their parents die in a fire at their house and they have nothing.

And Mr. Poe who is oblivious and lives in his own little world sends them to life with a distant relative - the evil Count Olaf! All he count wants is the children's money that Violet is to get when she comes of age.

Olaf makes the children do horrible chores, cook, sleep in one bed and the house is atrocious! But the kids do find some peace with the neighbor, Justice Strauss. She lets them cover over and read books from her library. Oh the joy of that =)

But the evil Olaf has a plan to get the money all for himself and he almost succeeds but Violet is a little too smart for old Olaf and I loved it!

I saw the movie for this years ago and I think someone told me it is compiled of the first three books. I thought it was good though. I am really looking forward to the Netflix tv series and the rest of the books!


GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1736042151

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Beginning-Unfortunate-Events/dp/0064407667/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1471906040&sr=1-1

1 comment: