Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Sunday, July 12, 2015

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

A brilliant, luminous story of first love, family, loss, and betrayal for fans of John Green, David Levithan, and Rainbow Rowell

Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

This radiant novel from the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once.
@goodreads

MY REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1261606904

When I first started reading this book I DID NOT want to put it down, but I had to sleep!

I fell in love with Noah right away. He was a whirlwind that came in and swept me away! His banter with people and in his mind was just out of this world. I felt sorry for him for having to hide himself from everyone but his twin sister Jude. Here is an example of his larger than life brain and crazy random stuff that he would come up with in his head... well.. the stuff always related to something, but still, listen to this:

You probably don't know this, because I'm like the only one in the world who does, but a dork is the official name for a whale dick. And a blue whale's dork? Eight feet long. I repeat: EIGHT FEET LOOOONNNNG! This is how I've felt since it happened yesterday: (Self-Portrait: The Concrete Dork)

Yeah, right? He's something else....and I'm going to have to look that up and see if it's true! Lol

The author tells the story in two mind-frames. She has Jude tell some of her story and then switches to Noah, etc. She also has years of their births that these events took place. I very much enjoyed this because you could be in each of their minds and feel what they were going through. She also wrote a lot of the things in a beautiful artistic way. It was wonderfully creative!

I didn't like Jude much at all until about half way through the book. I don't know why, she just seemed kind of boring until her story really took off. I WAS however, very mad at her for what she did to Noah! NO SPOILERS! I feel like in the end it might have worked out for the both of them, I'm still up in the air about it.

Noah, was picked on by a group of bully/jerks all of the time. This all came to a halt when he met Brian... the best boy ever... in Noah's mind anyway. They had such good times together and Brian took care of the bullies in his own way.

Noah and Jude's mother and father were a little off, but who isn't. I don't really like the way Noah's dad treated him in the beginning, but toward the end of the book he is a better father. I guess some things have a silver lining.

Overall I loved the book! There is tragedy and so many hurtful things, but there are good things that come out of it too. I really look forward to reading the other books!
5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment